Good morning friends. I hope y’all had a great weekend!! We enjoyed our homecoming festivities with the volleyball girls in the parade and then watched our high school football team win their game!! I also painted our powder room over the weekend and once I get the finishing touches done I’ll be sharing with y’all. Its a very small space but it needed some major love too! Today I’m excited to share our little Ikea Rast dresser makeover that we did for our master bedroom! I have had so many questions about them so I wanted to go ahead and share with y’all!!
We found these dressers at Ikea for $35 each. When we were thinking about what type of bedside tables we wanted in our room we both easily agreed that we wanted drawers for storage! We don’t have a dresser in our room, most of our clothes are hung in the master closet but we still have our underclothes and pj’s so we wanted a space for them. Plus the Mr. likes to keep ‘important piles’ of…stuff lol. So he needed a drawer for all of that to be tucked away! Now saying that, these little side tables sound BIG. They’re not…they don’t have super deep drawers but for us they worked perfectly. I didn’t want anything to big and heavy for this space and with 3 drawers it really did work out just right. So here’s what we did…
The first thing we did was purchase the wood for the framing of the drawers and for the top of the dresser. For the framing pieces we chose to use thin pieces of 3/8″ craft board. We cut 2 pieces for the length of each drawer and then 2 pieces for the width of each drawer. Once we had cut and sanded all of the pieces we (the Mr.) attached each board to the drawer using wood glue and a nail gun.
After the drawers were all framed out I used wood filler for the predrilled hardware holes. I already knew changing out the dresser hardware was a must. Now on ours, if you look close enough to the finished photo, you can see where I filled the holes. So, if you plan to do the exact same finish I used and change the hardware, just be sure to stay neat and tidy with your wood filler. The more wood filler you actually get on the wood, the more it will show. As you can see, I didn’t know this so I have a good bit of filler on the drawer itself. ‘lesson learned’
Next we cut and sanded the wood piece for the top. At Lowe’s they have large pre-made boards that you can purchase for projects that require more than a 1×12″. We were able to purchase one and have enough for both side tables. Once it was cut and sanded I went ahead and stained it. We them assembled the dressers and stained them as well.
So many of you have asked me about what finish I used on the dressers. This was my first time ever using a glaze and now I’m wishing I would have tried it years ago! To start with I used Provincial by Minwax to stain the dressers. I then used a clear glaze by Valspar and mixed it with some of the white paint I used for our master bedroom, Bistro White by Valspar. But you can use any white paint that you have on hand!
To mix the paint and glaze I just (very scientifically….nope) used a cup and poured the glaze and paint in. So I would say I used roughly one half of the glaze and then about half of that in paint. I also had a lot left over, which I just covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band to stick in the fridge for future projects!!! I know that doesn’t really help y’all a ton and I’m so sorry about that! I am including a photo of what the glaze looks like mixed so hopefully that will help.
Once I had the glaze mixed I used a foam brush to apply and then I used a cotton t-shirt to wipe the glaze off. Now this still left the stain looking white. It should have almost a milky look to it. I didn’t want to leave all of the glaze on because 1. I had never used it and 2. I was afraid it would turn out too white. Also in my defense lol, I’ve never claimed to be an expert DIYer so I learn and experiment with these things just like y’all do. Then I share what I did here so you can try it too! 🙂
I really do love the way they turned out! The hardware was found and Target! I was able to purchase a 6 pack for roughly $27 and I love how this simple hardware makes such a big statement on these dressers. My goal for our room was to keep it simple, on a budget and make it to fit and work for us. I can honestly say we accomplished that in this room. I have a hard time staying out of it.
That’s it for today friends! I hope y’all enjoyed this little Ikea ‘hack’ and I hope it inspires you to try it for yourself! If you have any questions at all please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave your comments and questions below!! I love getting to connect with you all! If you don’t already, head over to Instagram and follow along @misdiy for more behind the scenes photos and stories!! I’m also on Pinterest and would love to have you join me there @misdiy as well. AND big news, over on Instagram I’m celebrating my 30K milestone with an AMAZING giveaway! Be sure to head over to get in on your chance to win all these goodies and visit some amazing makers!!!
~Happy Reading Friends